The plane R-2117 exhibited at the Museum completed 2'957 flying hours.
The reconnaissance Mirage III RS was equipped with four cameras (possible focal lens 44, 76, 100, 200 and 600 mm) installed in the forward section, enabling forward, diagonal and vertical filming. Each camera used a film magazine allowing 360 takes for a total of 1400 photographs to be processed after landing.
For night shots the Mirage III RS initially used flashes to light the ground it was flying over when taking photographs. Barely discrete this system was changed for a LIRAS container, an infrared reconnaissance air system that was first used in 1981.
The R-2117 flew for the last time from Buochs to Payerne in December 2003 and was donated to the Foundation by the Air Force in 2005.
Technical information - Mirage III-RS 'AMIR'
|Affiliated:||from 1965 to 2003|
|Engine:||ATAR 09 C-3|
|Maximum thrust:||4'300 kp|
|With afterburner:||6'000 kp|
|With afterburner+SEPR rocket engine:||7'300 kp|
|With afterburner and 8 JATOS:||9'600 kp|
|Maximum weight at take-off:||12'600 kg|
|Maximum speed:||Mach 2 (2160 km/h at 10'000 m/sea)|
|Ceiling altitude:||23'000 m/sea|
|Flight radius:||1'200 km|